Monday, April 22, 2013

Pulling down idols

Yesterday, on my visit to a Napa, CA cave, I came across an interesting finding.  To my surprise, I found this Buddha 100 yards into the cave!  I did what only seemed normal to me - take it down!  Ha ha...I didn't literally wrestle it to the ground, but a certain something did arise within me when I saw this idol.  Why? Because an idol represents falsehood,a non truth, death if you will. 

Their idols are silver and gold,
The work of men’s hands.
 They have mouths, but they do not speak;
Eyes they have, but they do not see;
 They have ears, but they do not hear;
Noses they have, but they do not smell;
They have hands, but they do not handle;
Feet they have, but they do not walk;
Nor do they mutter through their throat.
 Those who make them are like them;
So is everyone who trusts in them.  Ps. 115:5-8


Wow!  We become like the one whom we worship!  The good news is, those who choose to follow Jesus, the true LIFE, we become like Him, full of life.  As He is, so are we in this world.  Jesus paid the price that we COULD live!

You He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins. Eph. 2:1

5 comments:

  1. Karen
    So glad to know we worship the living God not made with man's hands

    ReplyDelete
  2. examine your heart, see that nothing hinders your worship, so that you are able to worship in spirit and truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike
      What you said reminds me of the scrjppy, create in me a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me. The psalm we know after davids repentance. He says THEN I will teach transgressors Your way. Thx for the reminder to continually examine our heart :-)

      Delete
  3. I wish all the "idols" we come accross in our lives where so easily recognizable and that the ones we create for ourselves would be as quickly taken down as Buddha.

    ReplyDelete