Saturday, June 22, 2013

Two minds

What does it mean to be double (two) minded? It means having two desires and not being able or willing to let one go, causing you to go back and forth between two decisions.

In the book of James, double-minded is used to describe someone who is divided in his interests, wavering, uncertain, two-faced or half-hearted.  
If any of you is deficient in wisdom, let him ask of the giving God [who gives] to everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him.
Only it must be in faith that he asks with no wavering (no hesitating, no doubting).  For the one who wavers (hesitates, doubts) is like the billowing surge out at sea that is blown hither and thither and tossed by the wind.
For truly, let not such a person imagine that he will receive anything [he asks for] from the Lord, [For being as he is] a man of two minds (hesitating, dubious, irresolute), [he is] unstable and unreliable and uncertain about everything [he thinks, feels, decides]. James 1:5-8 AMP

The double-minded person is restless and confused in his thoughts, actions and behavior. This person is actually in conflict with himself. It is impossible to put confidence in His promises with such a conflict taking place on the inside.  This person has difficulty trusting God at His word for any particular matter they are facing.

How about being unstable?  Can you visualize the drunken man who cannot walk a straight line and sways from one side to the other. Because of his instability, he cannot make a definitive decision as to the direction he plans to go.  What happens?  Not much at all as he is unable to plan his way and gets nowhere.  

Think about this.  To be double-minded is to be both certain and doubting at the same time! Sounds crazy on paper, but true.  A part of your mind is sure of something, while the other part doubts. 

I have found myself in this state of double-mindedness more times than I like, and still do! Hopefully, I'm growing and learning that there are ways out of indecision.  One way I have found that unlocks the uncertainty of my mind is to focus on the Word that brings clarity of mind.  

I'd love to hear what you have learned through your times of not being unable to make a decision.  I know it would be helpful to all of us!

I find a rest of my mind in aligning myself - a drawing back, or drawing close to, the place where everything seems right again.

So submit yourselves to the one true God and fight against the devil and his schemes. If you do, he will run away in failure. Come close to the one true God, and He will draw close to you. Wash your hands; you have dirtied them in sin. Cleanse your heart, because your mind is split down the middle, your love for God on one side and selfish pursuits on the other.  James 4:7-8 Voice


6 comments:

  1. lucycislak@yahoo.comJune 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM

    Yeah, double minded is exactly right. How many times have I said something only to turn around and do exactly what I assured myself I wouldn't do. To make things worse I then justify my mess. Ouch! Thanks for the wake up call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romans 7:15 comes to mind. Such a great reminder, syd, of keeping our eyes on Jesus each and every minute. A hard challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the scrippy Heather
    Just read Romans 7:15. Each time I come across this verse...makes me laugh because this 'is' the struggle taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation."
    James 5:12, KJV Just read this. and Lucy I feel the same as you. You are not alone. {{HUGS}} Thanks Sydney. Stacey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey
    James 5:12 requires some single mindedness! When we choose to walk in His word, it is clear & we can definitively say 'yes' or 'no.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read this from Spurgeon! :)
    Let me not be a double-minded man, but one who is entirely under the powerful influence of reigning grace.

    ReplyDelete