Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A different kind of SEE

Recently, someone brought up the story of the good samaritan. You know, the person who took the time to help the one in need, as opposed to those who only looked on and walked by.
  

A certain man was going from Jerusalem down to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him of his clothes and belongings and beat him and went their way, [unconcernedly] leaving him half dead, as it happened.  Now by coincidence a certain priest was going down along that road, and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.  A Levite likewise came down to the place and saw him, and passed by on the other side [of the road].  But a certain Samaritan, as he traveled along, came down to where he was; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity and sympathy [for him] Luke 10:30-33 AMP

It's interesting that all three men SAW the half-dead man on the road they travelled on.  However, both the priest and the Levite were able to find an excuse for passing over on the other side. Here are two men we would think would be examples of charity, showing compassion on this man.  Instead they chose to shut up their compassion.  They both moved away from really seeing. 

The Samaritan did not exhibit an idle compassion.  He didn't pass by saying, "Lord bless him" as he continued on his way. 

Jesus said it is your neighbor that we are to have compassion on. Who is your neighbor?  ALL people.  Jesus was saying we are to love each other as we love ourselves!  How do you love yourself?  Are you looking out for your-self?  To love another as yourself is to do just what you want for yourself, to please yourself.  

Would you consider taking the love of self, and turning it for the love of your fellow man who needs the compassion of Christ that you are able to give.  Give your all that someone else may live. 

Will you choose to SEE the real need of the one you encounter along your path today?  



6 comments:

  1. Seeing the real need, takes discernment of the Spirit. The immediate need can be seen at first glance, as the emergency situation. One day as I was passing over a local bridge on the way to an appointment, I noticed a girl siting on the guardrail, I turned around and said to my business partner something is wrong here. I walked out to talk to her but she said don't come nearer, I will jump - the bridge was 110 feet above the little Spokane River that was flowing about only 2 to 3 feet deep at the time and was nothing but river rocks at its bottom. I signaled my business partner to call 911 and another driver stopped to talk to her. I asked her what she was doing and she said she was going to end the pain. the next thing I knew an officer was there I told her that Jesus loves you and has good plans or something like that, and then I was told to back away, by the officer, I went back to the car and took my friends hand in prayer that if she did slip or jump that angles would catch her. I looked back and she was gone. she jumped and hit bottom. I ran down as fast as I could but emergency personnel were already there before I could climb down the steep hill side, they retrieved her quickly. My wife Dawn works at the local police dept, so I got a hold of her and she said she had already heard about this, the girl had a badly sprang ankle and busted open lip and serious bruising. A while after the inccident had past my partner and I went to her parents home with a get well gift and card, knocked on the door and was greeted coldly by the father. we asked about his daughter and Identified who we were in this incident. he did not invite us in and seemed in a hurry to end the conversation. so we left - PRAYED and moved on, knowing that we done what we could , and ABBA would do the rest. The important thing is LISTEN to ABBA. in all this, I see panhandlers all the time. I have friends that work at the mission. they could go there and are offered rides there all the time, THEY REALLY JUST DON"T WANT THE HELP THEY NEED. you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink. We must be ready in attitude to act, but always listen to ABBA. Over the years I have helped some and saw great results and other and wondered if I used wisdom, maybe I got in the way of what God was doing in their life by interfering with my enabling sympathetic weakness. once again LISTEN help me here your voice in all these matters ABBA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point, Michael - listening to His Spirit guiding us. I appreciate your bringing this up as I certainly miss many things in my short writings.

    Thank you for sharing how you were able to tell the girl that Jesus loved her, and tried to visit her following as well...and the prayers! I sure was moved by her story and believe with you that she will know and live the life that God has for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing about the girl. My heart goes out to her. Sometimes our humanistic definition of love does not correspond with the Word's definition of love. I know for me humanly I may be thinking I am acting in love at times however hind site is often 20/20.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question, Syd. I was recently in a setting where I felt 'better than thou' then I needed to stop and realize what I was doing. I realized that even though I didn't feel comfortable with the environment I needed to realize that every single person is in a different place in their journey. My thoughts were along the line of ... others are further in certain areas compared to me. I may be further in certain areas compared to them. But I need to conclude that a 'further' or 'behind' comparison is not a Godly metric. It's a fleshly metric. I need to surrender. I need to get over it. I need to bow under God then humbly serve others in order to connect. If I hold condemnation against any other person I will not be able to connect or reach them. My mission will end. Possibilities and opportunities will vanish.

    Obviously, I am born loving myself. Look at all the wonderful things I do for myself. Now I need to share that same level of love with others. Amen. Thanks for writing, Syd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arlen

    Wow...your openness is humbling to me. I love the way you are able to be so open and I can so appreciate it! Truly! I sure like what you said!!! I need to humbly serve others in order to connect - what a good word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that in Jesus' way, we will all be our neighbor's keeper and pray for universal healthcare to be adopted as a right for every human being in this country.No matter their income; whether their employer (or spouse's) chooses to offer medical insurance; or if they have pre-existing conditions. I'd gladly pay the extra $45 per year (per capita cost) to insure an additional 650,000 Georgians with the expansion of Medicaid for the next decade. There but for the Grace of God go I.

    ReplyDelete