Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I can't get no satisfaction

Surely you have heard the song by Mick Jagger which conveys his feelings of dissatisfaction through the words in his song.

I can't get no satisfaction
I can't get no satisfaction

Cause I try and I try and I try 
and I can't get no, I can't get no

When I'm drivin' in my car
And that man comes on the radio
He's tellin' me more and more a
bout some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination
I can't get no, oh no no no
Hey hey hey, that's what I say

We have so many things to desire in this world! Yet, with all the 'getting' we are still not satisfied.  What is the missing ingredient to fill us continually with the happiness of life we crave?

The Word suggests that we can decide on true life fulfillment.

Why spend money on what is not food? Why work for what does not satisfy you?

 Listen carefully to Me. Then you will eat what is good. You will enjoy the richest food there is.Listen and come to Me. Pay attention to Me.  Then you will 
live. 
I will make a covenant with you that will last forever. I will give you My faithful love.
Isaiah 55:2-3 NIRV

On what terms is happiness offered to us?  On the basis of making the choice to not only listen to, but also in choosing to come to Him as your answer. We cannot find satisfaction anywhere but in knowing Him.  It does not matter what substitute you may search for to fill the longing, after it is attained, there is an emptiness that follows.
  
"All the wealth and pleasure in the world will not yield solid comfort and content to the should.  They do not satisfy even the appetites of the body; for all is vanity and vexation.  Let the disappointments we meet with the world, help to drive us to Christ, and to seek for satisfaction in  Him only." Matthew Henry


Will you make the choice today to listen and come to Him so you will know true satisfaction?



4 comments:

  1. mmmmmm....I know this song
    to the depths of my soul.
    Grateful for meaty goodness of God
    who shines hope and light into the emptiness
    I sometimes try to fill
    and offers real love instead.
    Yes and please to the real thing:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer

    I'm with you...Yes Please to the real thing. So grateful to KNOW the real thing! Your words remind me of the scrippy from 2 Cor. 4:6 it is God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone IN OUR HEARTS....TO GIVEi the light...
    We have the truth to give!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A prayer by A.W. Tozer
    O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need for further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, ‘Rise up my love, my fair one, and come away.’ Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer

    Just re-reading the prayer by Tozer! I so desire this...I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still.

    ReplyDelete